This, is going to be a mess. Bare with me though, and there will be some inspiration, some insight and some logic even in the eventual journey from this set of contra dictionary inspirational material to my personal regiment and contribution to the invitational. I think a full sub army within my Task Force Thorne.
Like any team of people, Iron Sleet has its own dynamics, flows of energy, leadership, triumphs and struggles. I’ve often ended up carrying the tempo to keep things moving, so the prospect of this invitational (thank you Upplander, it was time!) and Toni jumping in to drive it, leaving me just to enjoy participating is an exciting and welcome brake. And I intend to enjoy the ride. Just create.
Here is what I have decided.
- I will build a PDF regiment distinct to Thorn Moons, a hybrid of guard and skitari, typical to the most fortified and industrial of the Green Mechanicvm ruled moons, less changed by the Oldone architects than the borealis region of the Thorn Moon systems.
- This is a study of the kind of equipment necessary to survive the moons, and its hostile bio system and compromised atmospheres.
- I want to give the unit an old school feel and a few custom built weapons, human scale bolters and other kit that speaks to the resourcefulness of their lords, the Blessings of Mars and the many headed angel and protector of the moons.
- No bare heads – this is a huge challenge that I will undoubtedly regret when Kari drops his sublime flagellant faces – if I can convey humanity the way the invitational challenges everyone to do, without the canvas of human face, I’ve done something special. Maybe.
- The fifth model will be a surprise that cleverly ties the above together in a heart of vulnerability.
- Warning chevrons!
This in mind I’ve put together some inspirational material. A set of moody characters that convey humanity – Homo Mechanicum, Homo Borealis and whispers of my Regiment.
When it comes to Imperial Guard – or any human military regiment – I also find historical references really helpful. I love the classic Osprey illustrations and have collected a sampling of esoteric units to draw inspiration from. I use these images to imagine my own regiment illustrated really fitting this format. Hopefully the first five are just a beginning of several different units fighting together with the Borealis Twists and the Ghost Legion.
And when I get to the human agents of the 20th eventually, I’m going to loosen up and feature the few bare heads. Still with rebreathing equipment to survive without fungi and matter of the moons mutating them into more of it’s twisted children.